You need to write about the exercises in lesson and how you can you these to become a better actor. Remember - don't just describe what we have done in the session, you need to analyse the work. Take photos of the annotated texts in the lessons and put these in your log or on your blog.
Reflect on this question...
Q- What makes a truthful performance? Use examples from pieces of work you've seen and experiences you've had.
We started with a relaxation task, laying in semi-supine.
Why did Stanislavski encourage relaxation?
Magic If
You thought of someone you saw on your journey to school.
You embodied them physically, paying attention to the fact you can't be them exactly, you are an actor, however you changed a range of physical elements about them to become them.
You experimented with how that person walked - weight, leading with what part of the body?
You were then given a a number of MAGIC IFS to respond to...
...what if you found £20 on the floor
...what if you stood in dogs shit
...what if you had a cup of coffee spilt over you
...what if you had lost your wallet
How did you respond and why?
Why did Stanislavski use the MAGIC IF?
As an actor how did it get you to think and work?
Developing characters
In pairs you created a scene where the same character from the excerise previously was developed further.
You had to create a scene where these two people would exist.
We paused and introduced the GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCES
What was this is in Stan's system?
How did having an understanding the FACTS of the scene help you to become more truthful in your performance?
Next you were asked to think about...
WANT > DO > FEEL
You firstly explored the objective for your character in the scene. What did you decide on?
What is an objective in Stan's system?
How did knowing your objective help with developing the scene?
You were then asked to think about the ideas of physical actions for the lines you were saying.
How did this help to develop the scene? What were they?
We watched some the scenes, how did having a sense of objective help the actors? Were we able to work out objectives?
HELLO
You then applied the above to a short script between A and B that started with each character saying hello.
Talk about the scene you created by adding objectives and actions.
What odd others do, was it effective, why?
Task - I Love You
Objectives
and actions – how do they change a scene?
A: I love you.
B: What?
A: I love you.
B: I don’t feel the same.
We then started having a look at Act 1 of The Cherry Orchard, again working out the objectives for the characters.
We discussed UNITS. - what are these? Why are they useful to use? How have working both of these things out helped you to understand the text further?
Task - Approaching the text
THIS TEXT PREPARATION
IS CRUCIAL FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND TO ENSURE YOUR ACTING BECOMES
INSTINCTIVE.
WANT! DO!
FEEL!
In its simplest form Staninlavski’s system is: WANT, DO,
FEEL…
I want something. Therefore I do something. Consequently I
feel something.
What I WANT is an OBJECTIVE. What I DO is an ACTION. What I
FEEL is an EMOTION.
Questions The eight questions, or W's, to ask about your
character are:
·
WHO AM I?
·
WHERE AM I?
·
WHEN IS IT?
·
WHAT DO I NEED?
·
WHY DO I NEED IT NOW?
·
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DON’T GET WHAT I NEED?
·
WHAT DO I DO TO GET WHAT I NEED?
·
WHAT MUST I OVERCOME?
WHO AM I? What kind of person am I? How do I perceive
myself? What is my background, my upbringing, influences, experiences,
perceptions, accomplishments, attitudes, likes and dislikes, education,
occupation, relationships and characteristics? How might my attitudes be
influenced by social custom and habits that are part of the era in which I live
and the world in which I move? I must make all these decisions personal and
particular to me so that I can identify myself with my character in every
possible way.
WHERE AM I? What kind of place is it? Is it indoors or out-
doors? What sort of furniture is there? What colours, smell, or sounds? What
does it mean to me? What objects are there in this place? Are they personal to
me? What is the weather, temperature and climate?
WHEN IS IT? What time of day? What season, year?
WHERE HAVE I COME FROM? What has happened previously? How
did I get here? What have I brought with me? Where am I going afterwards?
WHAT DO I NEED? This is my ACTION. It is what I will strive
for. It is my motivating force, my desire, wish, and intention.
WHY DO I NEED IT? This is my justification for my Action. I
must have a strong reasons for needing my Action.
WHY DO I NEED IT NOW? Answer the questions: Why now? Why not
later, or before? I must justify why I need my Action now. All Actions are
immediate.
What have you learnt that will help you to be a better actor?




No comments:
Post a Comment